Sunday 8 December 2013

Ravenwing battle report


Played a game Thursday night against a local player. Seems like most of the gents who hang out at GW on Thursday nights like to bring the cheese, this guy was no different. He played a flying chaos monstrous creature list.  Two level 3 daemon princes and a lvl 3 lord of change with some plague bearers and a herald to take objectives. I brought my standard 1250 lost with a few changes. 2 Ravenwing assault squads with 2 plasmas each and one attack bike with a multi melta, 6 black nights with a grenade launcher and a librarian lvl one with an auspex. 5 scouts to play in the backfield. Sammael of course...because I have to. I dislike Sammael, but, what can you do. Bolter banner instead of fnp.  The game was 5 objectives and heavies were scoring. Regular deployment. 

I am a terrible player, I know this, when I play games I can't help but run straight up the gut and engage as soon as possible, this game, that strategy was exactly the wrong thing to do. He set up on the ground, bearers taking his back two objectives and the mc's sitting behind some cover. I immediately moved up and shot everything I had, doing basically nothing. I lost the game right there. What I should have done was sit back at 24.  Deny him any cc till turn 3. Shoot bolters and just wait. Three other mistakes: I took deny cover as my power for my Libby which was basically useless because he has a 5++ as it is, plus I didn't get my knights close enough to double tap or use my grenade launcher, and I took first turn playing an objective mission when the other army had limited shooting, basically no shooting at all.  Don't even know what I was thinking. 

The moral of this story: I was ready to turf this army right then and there but once again after the dust had settled, I knew I had played it all wrong. It's one more game under my belt though and next time I play something like that I will try and remember the lessons I learned from this loss. 

The changes I made to this list were mostly positive. Losing the attack bike made no difference, the 5 scouts were just as useless, but I still feel like they are a better purchase for the camping objective role.  The bolter banner really let me down. It keeps my army way to tight, 6 inches is a tight circle to try and stay in. I'll keep it for now, but not having the fnp net really makes the army feel exposed. Did I miss the dark shroud? A little, but the librarian is still the better choice I think, most of his armies strengths like cc and vector strike don't care about cover.  I should have taken prescience as my psychic power, I won't make that mistake next time. I will also model a force axe. I need the strength. 

Lastly, I need to get better at writing blog posts. This one was all over the map. 


1 comment:

  1. I really dig your army man, you should keep at it for sure. Remember the rule of cool dude. Now that you got the blog set up you should dump some photo's or your armies and show off your painting skill chops.

    ReplyDelete